Adolescents Sexual Health and Rights
Adolescence - typically defined as being between 10-19 years of age - is a critical point in everyone's life.
It is a time of huge biological and emotional changes, as people make the transition from childhood into adulthood, marked by the onset of puberty. It is also a time when many young people, especially in developing countries are expected to take on more responsibilities. It's a key point in time when an individual’s social, economic and political environment plays a major role in determining access to appropriate information and services and thus vulnerability to sexual and reproductive related ill-health.
Not providing appropriate sexual and reproductive health and rights information and services can lead to poor health of young adults, as well as detrimental social and economic impacts such as adolescent girls and boys dropping out of school, reducing literacy, and having knock-on effects to unemployment, inequality, and ultimately perpetuating poverty.
- There are 6.1 million unintended pregnancies each year among 15-19 year olds.
- Almost half of all maternal deaths from unsafe abortions in Africa are in women under 25.
- Young people account for 40% of new HIV infections.
- In sub Saharan Africa adolescent girls have higher infection rates than their male counterparts.
- In 2008, there were 14 million births to adolescent girls aged 15-19.
- Nearly 10% of all adolescent girls in low and middle income countries become mothers before 16 years.
- Young women aged 15-19 are twice as likely to die in pregnancy and child birth than older women.
Young People in Action: Empowering Ethiopian Adolescents
Interact, in partnership with the Ethiopian Muslim Relief and Development Association (EMRDA), empowers young people to overcome poverty. We provide skill training and financial support to reduce their sexual health risks through our ‘Young People in Action’ project.
Transforming Adolescent Sexual Health in Bhubaneswar
Interact has been working hard with Indian partner LEPRA to bring quality sexual and reproductive services and advice to young men and women in Orissa.